Nutrition plays a critical role
Nutrition plays a critical role in preventing and managing chronic diseases. Here are some key ways a healthy and balanced diet can play a vital role in your chronic disease management:
1. You can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer, by maintaining a healthy weight with your diet and regular exercise.
2. You can get all your essential vitamins, minerals and fiber for optimal health, by eating a variety of nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
3. You can reduce the risk of many chronic diseases by limiting your diet of processed and junk foods that are high in sugar, unhealthy fats and salt.
4. You can prevent and/or manage type 2 diabetes symptoms, by managing blood sugar levels with your balanced diet, regular physical activity (and medications if needed).
5. You can lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels with your healthy diet. It must be rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins, without unhealthy salt and saturated/ trans fats levels. Those with heart disease will reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke by lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
6. You can best maintain your overall health with foods that contain essential nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin B12.