Understanding Cholesterol: Tips for Managing Your Levels and Improving Heart Health
High cholesterol levels can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. Here are some tips to help you manage cholesterol in your daily life:
- Follow a healthy diet: Eat a diet that is low in saturated and trans fats, high in fiber, and rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Exercise regularly: Physical activity can help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, most days of the week.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese can increase cholesterol levels. Maintaining a healthy weight through diet and exercise can help lower cholesterol levels.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can raise cholesterol levels and increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your heart health.
- Limit alcohol consumption: Heavy alcohol consumption can raise cholesterol levels. Limit your alcohol consumption to no more than one drink per day for women or two drinks per day for men.
- Take medication as prescribed: If prescribed, take cholesterol-lowering medications exactly as directed.
- Monitor cholesterol levels regularly: Get your cholesterol levels checked regularly as recommended by your doctor.
- Work with your healthcare team: Work with your doctor, dietitian, and other healthcare providers to develop a personalized plan to manage your cholesterol levels and improve your heart health.
By following these tips and working with your SilvaCare healthcare team, you can take control of your cholesterol levels. Let SilvaCare help you reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke!